Melbourne is a relatively easy city to travel around by a variety of modes of transport. The terrain is generally flat, so walking or cycling can be a pleasure on a beautiful, sunny day.


Maintaining a car can be expensive. If you do own a car remember to purchase insurance to cover you for accidents and breakdowns. If you must travel by car, note that parking around the campus is limited and you generally need to pay.

Refer to the VicRoads website for details on obtaining or renewing a Victorian driver’s license.

Students who need to travel by car because of a disability may find the Disability Liaison Unit (DLU) website useful.


Public transport in Melbourne is run by PTV. You can travel by train, tram or PTV  three different zones.
Ticket fares are based on zones and periods of validity. Various ticket types are available. Ensure you travel with a valid ticket as both uniformed and non-uniformed inspectors check tickets and fines are very expensive.

Concession tickets are only available to those who carry concession identification (ID). You may be fined if you are unable to show your valid concession ID when approached by an inspector.  Unfortunately, international students are not eligible to apply for student concession cards.

Check out the information on the Student Financial Aid website regarding Concessions & Discounts.

Fare prices, concession details, timetables and route information can be found on the Metlink webs.



Many staff and students enjoy the health and financial benefits of riding a bicycle to get around the city. The Bicycle Network Victoria website provides useful information on rules and regulations, purchasing bikes and accessories, safety and path maps.


The Melbourne Airport website is useful for maps and airline, flight and passenger information. It also lists transport options to the city centre.

UIT can arrange for airport transfers, you have to book in advance and there is a fee for this service.

Alternatively, the Skybus is a popular airport shuttle service. If you are travelling to or from the airport on your own or with one other person, the Skybus is cheaper than a taxi. See for more information.

If you are flying into Avalon Airport, ensure you read the transport information on the Jetstar Airways website.


This type of accommodation is usually arranged after you arrive in Melbourne unless you have friends or relatives already living here. Sharing means each person usually has his or her own bedroom and shares the bathroom, kitchen and living areas with other people. Costs depend on the size of the residence and the number of people sharing. Your budget should allow for food, electricity and other bills, plus transport and other personal costs. Food costs can be shared, with everyone paying an agreed amount per week, or each person buying his or her own food (approximately $75 to $100 per week).

In most households, the cost of electricity, telephone rental and other bills are shared equally (approximately $50 per week).


Hostel accommodation is often located near tourist attractions like hotels, but is less formal, and therefore cheaper. They can be a good temporary option for students before they find a more permanent option. Hostels provide small, private, furnished rooms or dormitory rooms (shared bedrooms) with access to common areas such as the kitchen, sitting rooms, laundry, and usually a computer room with internet access.

Most hostels have a friendly community atmosphere, as the common areas provide guests with the opportunity to interact with other guests who are often travellers from all over the world. It’s a fantastic way to make new friends and to gain information about other countries and the local area. Most hostels provide activities, such as guided tours of the town, language lessons, live music, barbeques, etc. for free or for a nominal charge.
Some hostels include meals in their fees, while at others you cook for yourself. Half board includes two meals – breakfast and either a lunch or a dinner – and full board includes three meals. Guests can have their own room (private rooms) at most hostels, but is more expensive than a shared room (dormitory) with other guests. There may be other charges, such as a bond (security deposit) and appliance charges.Gas and electricity are usually covered in the overall cost. Many hostels are privately run, and as such come under the Rooming House Act. Please note, if the student signs a lease, they are covered by the Residential Tenancies Act. Guests must be careful of their own belongs when staying in a hostel, as theft can occur. Lack of privacy may also be an issue when staying in a dormitory room.

Note: Hostel can start from $100 AUD per night for a private room, and $35 AUD for a shared room. The price must be confirmed at the time of booking.
List of websites for hostels


If you choose to rent or live in shared accommodation you should be aware of your legal rights and responsibilities. You can get most of the information you need from a booklet called ‘Renting: Your Rights and Responsibilities’. This booklet will give you information about your rights as a tenant in rental accommodation and your responsibilities, such as household maintenance and paying your rent on time. You may also be responsible for paying for the cost of the reconnection of the utilities, that is, to have gas, electricity, water and telephone turned on.

When you leave a rental property it is your responsibility to notify the electricity, telephone water and gas companies that you have left and are no longer responsible for the bills. When you move into new accommodation you need to make sure that you understand all of the papers that you sign. Do not sign anything unless you are fully aware of all terms and conditions, and you are sure you understand them clearly.